Friday, January 18, 2013

Recently Read: Love's Labour's Lost by William Shakespeare

This is probably my favourite Shakespeare play. I read it before quite a long while back and enjoyed it then as I have now.

The first thing that always strikes me about this play is the title. I can't for the life of me understand the use of the apostrophes. It would seem much more pleasing without them to my mind. In fact, having read the play's Wikipedia page it would appear that originally the title didn't contain them.
"In its first 1598 quarto publication it appears as Loues Labors Lost."
Evidence to me that Shakespeare has once again been bastardised by later idiots. I think in future I'll just dismiss the apostrophes when referring to it.

Anyway, nothing much to say about this play really apart from the fact that it was excellent. Just brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment