Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Red Hair in the Caucasus

I read this quote about red hair in a book called, ‘Russia: or, A Compleat Historical Account of All The Nations Which Compose That Empire.’ Printed in 1780.
“In the provinces of Caucasus red hair is thought so great a beauty in the women, that such as have not received that advantage from nature use red pomatum”
NOTE: I should probably mention at this point that red hair is a bit of a theme for me. Over the years I’ve developed an interest in it, mainly owing to the fact that I have red hair and freckles myself. I’m particularly interested in the myths and history associated with it, and any curious titbit I come across in regards the colour I’m liable to make note of. My apologies to anyone who isn’t likewise inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment